3/4354 Captain Sidney Harcourt Arthur – NZ Medical Corps

Sidney Harcourt Arthur was born in Invercargill on 11th March 1880 the eldest son of Elizabeth and Thomas Arthur.[i]

Sidney was raised in Invercargill moving to Dunedin to start work with the Bank of New Zealand. In the early part of the 1900’s when his father moved the family to Wellington Sidney transferred to the Wellington Branch of the Bank. While
with the bank he was selected to attended medical training, to be a doctor, in Edinburgh, leaving New Zealand on the
17th January 1907.[ii]

In Scotland that Sidney met and married his wife Dorothy Broatway in June 1912 prior to the couple returning to New Zealand.[iii] 

Dr Sidney Harcourt Arthur, MB., Bac Surg 1912 Edinburgh University returned to Wellington in October 1912 and set up practice as a Doctor.

Dorothy and Sidney had two sons, Dick Harcourt (1913) and Hugh Harcourt Arthur (1915) and had an established house in Hill Street, Wellington and a beach house in Titahi Bay, Porirua.

On the 27th August 1918 Dr Arthur enlisted in the New Zealand Army as 3/4354 Captain Sidney Harcourt Arthur. On the 12th October 1918 Captain Arthur entered camp with the NZMC at Awapuni and on the 15th October 1918 was
transferred to His Majesty’s New Zealand Hospital Ship HMNZHS Marama. Captain Athur’s wife Dorothy and the two
young boys moved out to stay in the Titahi Bay house while Captain Arthur was away with the army.

​Captain Sidney Harcourt Arthur 

 Captain Arthur joined the Marama at Port Chalmers where she was discharging South Island men who had been picked up from Marseilles, France[iv] . Following restocking the Marama sailed for Southhampton, via the Suez Canal. The Marama made a trip to Le Havre and then remained at Southhampton where she remained clearing patients from the
New Zealand Hospitals. The Marama returned to New Zealand, via the Panama Canal, arriving in Auckland on the 27th January 1919.  wounded and sick from the Western Front.
There were 557 wounded and invalided servicemen on
board, following discharge in Auckland the Marama
moved to Wellington. In Wellington Captain Arthur left
the Marama possibly to work at the Trentham Military

HMNZHS Marama - painting reference 

Captain Arthur was discharged from the NZEF on the 19th
September 1919 returning to his private practice.

The Arthur family continued to use their Titahi Bay House with Dr Arthur prominent in the Titahi Bay Progressive Association[v] and was also reported as assisting in the resuscitation of a number of people who got into difficulties swimming at the Bay.[vi]

Sidney Harcourt Arthur died on the 11th October 1941.[vii]

In the Evening Post 12th December 1941 was a notice for the auction of 1.5 acres of land in Titahi Bay the estate of the late Dr Arthur.[viii] The property consisted of three sections with frontages on Terrace and Lambley Roads, Titahi Bay.

Paperspast Online
NZ History Online, WW1 Hospital Ships
Onward NZEF Portraits: need to put in link

HMNZHS Marama - Archives New Zealand
HMNZHS Marama - painting (source artist) 
3/4354 Captain Sidney Harcourt Arthur: Onward  

[i] NZ BDM
[ii] Sidney Harcourt Arthur, 18th January 1907, Evening Post
[iii] Sid Arthur – Dr Harcourt Arthur, 2nd January 1915, The Observer
[iv] Ship Movements, WW1 Hospital Ships, NZ History Online
[v] Annual Meeting TBPS, 20th January 1928, Evening Post
[vi] Resuscitation at Titahi Bay, 22nd December 1922, Evening Post
[vii] NZ BDM
[viii] Estates, 12th December 1941, Evening Post