2/8A Gunner Frederick (Fred) William Attwood - New Zealand Field Artillery 

Born in Christchurch on 9th December 1885, Fred, at the time of enlistment was a single 29 year old living in
Judgeford, Pahuatanui and working as a bushman for the company Payne & Sutherland of Prinor, Featherston.[i]
On his medical examination the only thing that was noted was that he was deaf in his left ear but this was considered
‘a slight defect and not sufficient to cause rejection'.

On 13 November 1914 Fred entered Trentham Camp as 17/8 Trooper Attwood attached to the 2nd Reinforcements, Veterinary Corps however when he arrived in Egypt in February 1915 the focus on the Gallipoli Campaign and Fred
was transferred to the New Zealand Field Artillery with the serial number 2/6A Driver Attwood, 4th Howitzer Battery,
3rd Brigade. It may have helped that he was deaf in one ear.

2/6A Gunner Fred Attwood landed at Anzac Cove in the first
landings and remained on the peninsular for the duration of the
campaign returning, on 2nd December 1915.

18 pounder of NZFA in action Gallipoli 

The New Zealand Forces then underwent rest, refitting and
redeployment with the majority of the NZEF to be shipped
to the Western Front.  The 4th Howitzer Battery, 3rd Brigade
transferred, on 3rd April 1916 to France and moved up with
the rest of the New Zealand Division to the Western Front and
the Somme. In February 1917 Driver Attwood was appointed
as the Cook for the 4th Battery and remained as 2/6A Cook Attwood until he was evacuated, on 16th July 1917, sick.

Cook Attwood remained in England until January 1918 when he returned to France and the 4th Battery. ‘Somewhere in France’ on the 6th June 1918 50095 Driver Wilf Mexted of the Divisional Ammunition Column wrote to his mother in
Tawa he noted.[ii]

            ‘P.S. Met Fred Attwood from Pahautanui, wished to be remembered.’

It is not clear if Fred Attwood when back as a Cook or as a Driver in NZFA.

In October 1918 the New Zealand artillery and engineers were supporting French and British Forces in the Battle of Selles River (17th – 25th October, 1918. It was during this battle that Drive Attwood was wounded, gunshot wound to the right thigh, and he was evacuated to England. 2/6A Driver Attwood remained in hospital until March 1919 when he was repatriated
to New Zealand.

18 Pounder of NZFA In action Beaussant October  1918 

In August 1919 the Evening Post reported on a successful function in Pauatahanui to welcome back men from the area
who had served overseas.[iii]

‘Eight residents of the Pahautanui district who saw service in the war – Gunner F. Attwood, Trooper J Barber, Private E Draper, Gunner A Greig, Private Harris, Private N Olsen, Private A Sims (MM) and Fitter A Trevor –
were the guests at a “social” held in Pahautanui last night. During the evening, Mr R.A. Wright M.P.
for Wellington Suburbs, on behalf of those present, handed to each man a gold albert chain and Maltese cross suitably inscribed. Mr W.H. Field M.P. for Otaki, replied on behalf of the soldiers, and the rest of the evening
was spent in dancing, music being provided by Mr E.J. King and Mr W.C. Tanner.’

Fred Attwood was finally discharged in New Zealand, on, 7th October 1919:

            ‘As no longer physically fit for war service on a/c of wounds recieved in action’

Frederick William Attwood, in 1923, married Elsie May Hammond.

Frederick William Attwood (retired farmer) died in Tauranga in 1966 his widow in 1980.

​The historic spelling Pahautanui is used where quoted from newspapers. 

NZ BDM Online
Paperspast Online
Unpublished letters 50095 Driver Wilf Mexted
Archway Archives New Zealand - Military Files: 2/8A Gunner Frederick William Attwood

NZFA in Action at Gallipoli 1915 - Alexander Turnbull Library
NZFA in Action at Bess

[i]   Archway Archives New Zealand
[ii]  Unpublished letter (4th June 1918) 50095 Driver Wilf Mexted to his family in Tawa
[iii] Social Function(2nd August 1919) Evening Post​​
NZFA 18 Pounder in action at Gallipoli  1915